What did we learn from past storms?

1938 Hurricane Damages

Outside a house damaged in the 1938 hurricane in Fairfield. 

After the storms of the 1950s, both the town and local residents responded.

  • The Town of Fairfield obtained approval from the Connecticut Legislature to form the Flood and Erosion Control Board, which became a statewide model. The board hosted public meetings on projects, including municipal and federal research studies on Fairfield’s erosion and stabilization efforts, including dikes, tide gates, and warning sirens. 
  • Residents sought additional flood protection by increasing their flood insurance and constructing physical barriers, such as seawalls and bulkheads, on their property.
  • The town purchased land at the end of Fairfield Beach Road, where 30 houses had been destroyed by the storm, to prevent further construction there.
  • The town tried to use zoning to regulate building in the flood plain, but this was found to be unconstitutional by the state Supreme Court in 1962.