Browse Items (10 total)

  • Tags: demolition

- wm.tif
808 Old Post Road

The Unquowa Hotel was built in 1868 by industrialist James Mott, who sold his mansion after financial problems. The building changed hands many times, including a turn as the Hargrove School for Boys, before being sold in 1913 to…

Meeker Merwin House0001.jpg
Meeker Merwin House

698 Merwins Lane

The Meeker Merwin house was built in 1780 by Meeker Merwin. Ownership of the house ended up with his son, Benjamin Merwin, who eventually passed it down to Morris Meeker Merwin. Morris served the town as a…

Knapp House0001.jpg
Knapp Homestead

632 Knapps Highway

The Knapp homestead was built by the Knapp family in 1830. The property was passed down to Charles Knapp who ended up losing it through stock failures. At one point the house was owned by Gustave Whitehead, an…

Frederick Marquand House0001.jpg
Frederick Marquand House

720 Pequot Road

The Marquand house was built in 1832 by Frederick Marquand. A founder of the Southport Savings Bank in 1854, Marquand gave generously to various philanthropic endeavors, including the Theological…

Ye Set a Spell0001.jpg
Ye Set-a-Spell Tea House

935 Harbor Road

The tea house was built in 1810 by Eleazer Bulkley. The tea house operated until 1950 when it was demolished.

Sunnieholmeexterior0001.jpg
Sunnie-Holme, 375 Old Post Road, was built in 1909 by Annie B. Jennings, a wealthy philanthropist who helped open the first high school in Fairfield. The mansion was the site of an expansive rose garden that Jennings opened up to the public in 1915.…

Gould Homestead0001.jpg
Gould Homestead

426 Post Road (originally 172 Post Road)

The Gould Homestead was built in 1841 by Captain John Gould, a mariner. His daughter Elizabeth B. Gould made it into a vacation home for working women in 1908. It was demolished in 1955…

Unquowa19200001.jpg
Unquowa Hotel( circa 1920)

808 Old Post Road

The Unquowa Hotel was built in 1868 by industrialist James Mott. Mott was the founder of the Mott Manufacturing Company which specialized in manufacturing rubber carriage bodies. In 1879, Mott was…

MOW35mm_New#167-watermarked.jpg
Redfield House

95 Mill Plain Road

This house was built by Augustus Jennings in 1760. It was spared during the burning of Fairfield in 1779 by Mrs. Lucretia Redfield who put out four fires. In 1956 the home was demolished to make way for a…

MOW35mm_New#105a-watermarked.jpg
Redfield House

95 Mill Plain Road

This house was built by Augustus Jennings in 1760. It was spared during the burning of Fairfield in 1779 by Mrs. Lucretia Redfield who put out four fires. In 1956 the home was demolished to make way for a…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2