Unquowa Hotel

Dublin Core

Title

Unquowa Hotel

Subject

Fairfield-Buildings

Description

Unquowa Hotel( circa 1920)

808 Old Post Road

The Unquowa Hotel was built in 1868 by industrialist James Mott. Mott was the founder of the Mott Manufacturing Company which specialized in manufacturing rubber carriage bodies. In 1879, Mott was confronted with serious financial problems and ended up selling his mansion. After changing hands several times, the mansion was purchased by Pinkney Hargrove, who turned it into the Hargrove School for Boys. The school was sold in 1913 to Harriet S. Donovan who turned it into The Unquowa Hotel. The hotel included a dining room that was open to the public for lunch and dinner. The Fairfield Elks Company also used the hotel for some social functions. The hotel was sold to Charles J. McCarthy Jr. in 1966, but the hotel began to deteriorate. The hotel's southeast corner collapsed in 1991, causing the building to be condemned. Despite efforts to save the hotel, it was demolished in 1994.

Creator

Everett Tarlton

Source

Fairfield--Houses: Unquowa Hotel

Rights

Fairfield Museum and History Center, all rights reserved. Please contact us for information about reproductions.

Files

Citation

Everett Tarlton, “Unquowa Hotel,” Fairfield Photos, accessed September 2, 2014, http://fairfieldmuseum.omeka.net/items/show/437.

Social Bookmarking