Painting of Boys Rock

Title

Painting of Boys Rock

Description

Part of a rock outcrop located near King’s Highway,
this ledge was a favorite playing spot for Southport
boys in the mid-19th century. Between 1857 and
1863, the field was known as “The Boys’ Lot” and
the rock as “The Boys’ Rock.” The boys carved their
initials into the rock using discarded spikes found
along the railroad tracks. Among the surnames were
Bulkley, Jennings, Perry, and Wakeman. Years later,
property owner C. O. Jelliff had the inscription
“The Boys Rock 1860” cut into the stone. Jelliff
deeded the rock to the Fairfield Historical Society, with the proviso that it be enclosed with
a metal railing. In 1956, a portion of the historic rock
was saved during construction of Interstate 95 and
deposited on our former grounds at 636 Old Post
Road. Later in 1968, this rock was placed in Reeves
Park in tribute to William Reeves’ devotion to the
youth of Southport. Today you can visit a piece of
Boys Rock near the corner of Westway Road and
Pequot Avenue, diagonal from Pequot Library, in
Southport.

Creator

Joseph Wickham Roe (1871-1960)

Contributor

Joseph W. Roe

Rights

Fairfield Museum and History Center

Identifier

1978.651

Comments