Unquowa Hotel Postcard

Title

Unquowa Hotel Postcard

Description

808 Old Post Road

The Unquowa Hotel was built in 1868 by industrialist James Mott, who sold his mansion after financial problems. The building changed hands many times, including a turn as the Hargrove School for Boys, before being sold in 1913 to Harriet S. Donovan who turned it into The Unquowa Hotel. The hotel included a dining room that was open to the public for lunch and dinner. The hotel was sold to Charles J. McCarthy Jr. in 1966, but the hotel began to deteriorate. The hotel's southeast corner collapsed in 1991, causing the building to be condemned. Despite efforts to save the hotel, it was demolished in 1994.

This Postcard was made in the 1950's in New Haven, Conn.

Creator

Morris Berman, New Haven, Conn.

Source

Postcards - Hotels

Rights

Fairfield Museum and History Center, all rights reserved. Please contact us for information about reproductions.