Browse Items (29 total)

  • Tags: business

556OldPostRoad.jpg
St. Marc Hotel

556 Old Post Road

The St. Marc hotel was built in 1848 as The Fairfield House. The building traded hands several times until it was purchased by George Wells, who renamed it The St. Marc Hotel. The hotel was very fashionable for…

Ye Set a Spell0001.jpg
Ye Set-a-Spell Tea House

935 Harbor Road

The tea house was built in 1810 by Eleazer Bulkley. The tea house operated until 1950 when it was demolished.

MOW35mm_New#140-watermarked.jpg
Hill-Ribbins House

1218 Brookside Drive

The Hill-Ribbins house was built in 1749 and was previously owned by Judge David Hill. After Fairfield's courthouse was burned down by the British in 1779, some of the town business was carried out in…

Casper Schick Cafe 1909 Faifield HS Photo File 001.jpg
From 1909 to 1912, Casper Schick operated a cafe on the first floor of the later Jr. Pequot Yacht Club building. The building was erected in 1889 by Simon Banks. The people in the picture have been identified as follows -- from left to right:…

Mcgarrymkt.jpg
McGarry's Market and Barber Shop, located at 666 Post Road.

mcGarry.jpg
McGarry's Blacksmith Shop, located on the NW corner of Sanford Street and Post Road. Built between 1830s - 1850s, the shop stood until 1949

McGarry's Blacksmith Shop was opened in the mid 1800's by Michael Fox. Fox taught his trade to his…

McGarry3.jpg
McGarry's Blacksmith Shop, located on the NW corner of Sanford Street and Post Road. Built between 1830s - 1850s, the shop stood until 1949.

McGarry's Blacksmith Shop was opened in the mid 1800's by Michael Fox. Fox taught his trade to his…

Mcgarry2.jpg
McGarry's Blacksmith Shop, located on the NW corner of Sanford Street and Post Road. Built between 1830s - 1850s, the shop stood until 1949.

McGarry's Blacksmith Shop was opened in the mid 1800's by Michael Fox. Fox taught his trade to his…

Ffld_OnionFarming_c1890.jpg
Warner Hill - Sherwood property. The man in the bowler hat is Nellis Sherwood.

Fairfield farmers were well-known for their onions during the 1800s, with over 100,000 bushels of onions raised in Southport during the Civil War alone. The Southport…

Rolock.jpg
Rolock, Inc. Bar loom.

Rolock Inc. was founded in Southport in 1924 as DeMattia Wire Works. The company made wire mesh baskets and trays for industrial heat treating processes. The company's stock was bought by Roger Wells in 1925. Wells served as…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2